Wednesday, July 23, 2008

What a difference a job makes.....

So I spent the day in a room full of social worker, therapists and probation officers and boy are we all different. First of all, I will agree that there should never be all three of these lovely agencies involved in troubled children's lives. I just as strongly agree that they should only be in a small room together on as few occasions possible. These groups mix like oil and water, i guess you can say we stick to our own. This was all to evident at lunch when we all just stuck together and NO ONE intermingled. Can you say awkward!!! Probation is a job of incarceration, rehabilitation and then continual supervision. Therapy is about fixing/guiding that person. Social work about fixing the certain situation family, child or environment.
I guess I will start by saying that probation is the rough group, we are more likely to get physical when necessary and yes we carry a guns. This a no, no for social workers...guns are scary and just torment already frighten youth. And while I'm at it therapists don't appreciate our hands on approach either. Well when you are dealing with gang members and kids who have inadvertently fried the brains from drugs you go with what force is necessary. During our 8 hours together I listen to a lot of complaining about how my environment is worse then yours. I would beg to differ (mine wins) but maybe if they would have just listen to one another and heard that we all work in places that are volatile and stressful then we could see each other point of view.

1 comment:

PBandJ said...

I would like to see a social worker or therapist get into the middle of a fight between two (or more) kids and "Talk" their way through it. Not going to happen.
Therapy and social services are crucial aspects of the rehab of these kids, but one cannot discount the importance of our service, which is to protect society from these kids when they do not care about (or are not ready for) therapy or recovery.
We must work together as a team to get these kids recovered; it is not about "my part is better than your part."